What you’re looking at is the delicious and simply irresistible Banana Puto! I’m sure that once you have a bite of one of these, you’re going to want more and you will just not get enough.
It is another variation you can try if you have overripe bananas lying around your home or you happen to see some cheap overripe bananas and you were tempted to buy them.
In this recipe article, you will learn how to make the indulging banana puto and you can make it as a gift, as a product for a small business, or simply a good treat for you and your family or friends. Read on below to see how to make this easy banana puto recipe.
What is Banana Puto?
Puto is basically a steamed rice cake popularized by the Filipinos. It is commonly eaten as a dessert or a snack, or is partnered with other savory Filipino dishes.
The banana puto is a variation of that rice cake, aside from the usual ingredients we use for making the plain puto, we add ripe bananas into it to make a banana-y delicious tasting puto.
The traditional puto is made from a mixture of rice, water, and sugar, and is usually fermented first before steaming them. But nowadays, making the puto has never been this easy ever since the use of flour became popular. It is actually not a bad substitute as it makes the puto smoother and softer.
How to Make Banana Puto?
Making a puto from scratch can be intimidating when you think about it, but it is really an easy thing to do. So gather up your ingredients and let’s go make puto.
To start, we have three things to do when making the banana puto: First we are going to make a batter for the puto by mixing our ingredients. Next, we are going to make the puto by filling them into individual puto molds. And last, we are going to steam it for a couple of minutes and then voila! They’re ready to be eaten!
Banana Puto Tips:
- The darker the banana, the sweeter the flavor. The best kind of banana whenever you’re making a bread or cake with bananas are the overripe ones. This is because they’re soft and they provide more flavor. So if you have the opportunity to buy overripe ones in the market, go for it since they’re usually much cheaper. But if not, you can buy ripe bananas and let them get overripe at room temperature.
- You can add more bananas if you want. This recipe has everything set for a delicious banana puto, but if you can’t get enough of that sweet banana taste, you can add more bananas if you have some excess lying around, it won’t hurt the recipe, and it will bring more flavor to the puto.
Notes on Ingredients
If you want cheaper options, you can use alternative ingredients such as margarine instead of butter. It is a cheaper version of it and it gives almost the same taste as butter.
Another alternative is you can replace the milk with water. But it will result in a slightly bland taste so you have to add more sugar to the mixture. It is entirely up to you how much more sugar you will add.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Banana Puto Recipe
- 4 pcs ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup butter, or margarine, melted
- ½ cup evaporated milk, or condensed milk
- 3 pcs eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl, add-in the mashed bananas, eggs, evaporated milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until well-incorporated.
- In another bowl, add-in the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add-in the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir well. Mix until well-incorporated and a nice consistency is achieved.
- Prepare puto molds and brush it with cooking oil.
- Fill the mold with the puto batter. Repeat this step for the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer the molds to a steamer. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes. Cover the steamer lid with a dry towel to avoid water from dripping.
- Remove from the molds and transfer to a serving tray or serving plate. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂