Here’s something new and is quite cheap that you can try at home with your family–the crispy fried Breaded Cabbage Rolls! This is a quick, easy, and also healthy food which you can serve for dinner, or even as a weekend snack bonding with the family!
With common and readily available ingredients which you probably already have at home or are easy to get near your area, you can make this anytime you want.
So continue to read this recipe article and learn how to make the best breaded cabbage rolls. There are also tips and tricks, as well as some trivia which might help you along the way.
What are Breaded Cabbage Rolls?
Breaded Cabbage Rolls are exactly what it is.
It is a delicious dish that can be served as a snack or partnered with rice which is made out of fillings such as ground beef or ground pork with garlic, onion, some soy sauce and oyster sauce, and other seasonings–then wrapped in cabbage and batter fried into a crispy perfection.
Cabbage Health Benefits
Cabbage is an often overlooked vegetable ingredient, but it is packed with a lot of health benefits. Plus the good thing is it is a flexible ingredient which you can add to a lot of dishes.
Even though the dish in this recipe is deep fried, you can still benefit from the nutrients that the cabbage gives. Here are some of the notable health benefits when you eat cabbage, among many others:
- It helps improve digestion
- It helps maintain your heart health
- It can lower the blood pressure
- It can lower cholesterol levels
How to Make Breaded Cabbage Rolls?
Making these delicious breaded cabbage rolls is super quick and easy! Once you have all of the ingredients, the preparation will be pretty straightforward and you’re ready to chow down these savory delights.
To start with this, let’s visualize the whole process and break it down into three: First, we need to mix our ingredients. Second, we are going to wrap the said ingredients and make it into cabbage rolls. And last, we are going to dip these rolls in the batter and then deep fry it.
Cabbage Roll Tips:
- Steam the cabbage leaves before wrapping the filling ingredients with it. This will help a lot in the next steps in the recipe because it will make the cabbage leaves softer, and it will also make it cleaner because it will eliminate any bacteria still existing in the leaves.
- Add some sauce or dip to your cabbage rolls. Don’t get it wrong, the cabbage rolls are a wonder in their current state, but it can help improve the dish more if you add some dips. The good old fashioned ketchup and mayonnaise will suffice, but if you’re feeling extravagant you can make a sauce of your own that you can pair with the cabbage.
- Also try a different kind of roll like: Homemade Pizza Bread Rolls Recipe
Notes on Ingredients
This recipe uses ground pork as the meat ingredient. But you can opt to use other types of meat such as beef, chicken, or even fish as an alternative for this recipe. It is better if it is ground or it is cut into very fine pieces so it will be easier to handle when it comes to the wrapping part.
Besides the seasonings and sauces used, you can also use spices depending on your preference, especially if you lack ingredients. You can replace the fresh onions and garlic with the powder ones.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Breaded Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 1 head cabbage, leaves separated and boiled
- 1 cup cooking oil, or as needed, for frying
For the Filling:
- 500 g ground pork, or ground beef
- 1 pc large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup parsley
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce, (optional)
- 1 pc egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Batter:
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 pcs egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all of the filling ingredients. Mix until well-incorporated.
- Place the cabbage leaves in a flat working space.
- Scoop a part (1 to 2 tbsp) of the ground pork mixture at the bottom center part of the cabbage leaf. Then wrap the mixture, making it into a cabbage roll. Repeat this step for the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer cabbage rolls into a steamer. Steam for 15 minutes. You can cover the steamer lid with a towel to avoid water from dripping.
- Add-in the flour, salt and pepper in one bowl. Add-in the beaten eggs in another bowl. And add-in the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip the cabbage rolls into the flour mixture, and then into the eggs, and then into the breadcrumbs. Make sure that it is fully coated.
- In a cooking pan, pour-in and heat cooking oil over medium heat.
- Add-in the cabbage rolls. Deep fry until golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂