If you want nuggets which are free of meat, but still have the same full flavor of your usual nuggets, then you might want to try these–the Breaded Tokwa Nuggets! Tokwa or Tofu is quite popular here in the Philippines and it is often used as an ingredient in a lot of other ingredients.
For this recipe, we are going to make use of the tokwa and make it like our favorite chicken nuggets. You can learn how to make these indulging breaded tokwa nuggets and give your family a delicious dinner or even an afternoon snack by continuing to read on the recipe below along with some cooking tips and some tokwa nugget trivia.
What are Breaded Tokwa Nuggets?
Breaded tokwa nuggets–or tofu nuggets–are an alternative version of the meaty chicken nuggets. It is made out of cut tofu cubes coated with a batter–in the form of milk, flour or eggs added with breadcrumbs and is then fried or baked to perfection.
Nuggets are usually partnered with dips or sauces and the more common ones are ketchup and mayonnaise.
How to Cook Breaded Tokwa Nuggets?
This recipe is really easy to prepare, and I’m sure that any beginner can do this without fail, so don’t worry if you’re one!
To start making your very own breaded tokwa nuggets, let’s break down the recipe procedure into two simple goals, so that it will be easier for you to visualize. First goal is to cut and coat the tofu in the batter, so you can have a crispy tofu when cooked. Second goal is to cook it–simple as that!
This can be done by either frying the nuggets or baking the nuggets.
Breaded Tokwa Nugget Tips:
- You can also add an extra coating to the nuggets by adding eggs. These give off additional flavoring and give that extra crispiness and flare to the nuggets.
- Make sure that the oil you use is fresh as much as possible. It is hard to maintain a fresh oil especially at home since most people do not deep fry food everyday. But take note that the longer the oil is exposed, the more likely that it can alter the taste of the food, so if you want to have good tasting nuggets, use fresh oil.
- You can bake these nuggets in the oven. If you don’t want to have oily food, or you simply do want to fry the nuggets, an option you can do is to bake them! Just preheat the oven at about 180C and then bake both sides of the nuggets for 10 minutes each. Sure, it takes longer, but it saves you the hassle of cooking it on your own.
- Want to try another veggie nugget? Try this: Oyster Mushroom Nuggets Recipe
Notes on Ingredients
For an extra kick for the taste of these tofu nuggets, you can use the optional ingredients such as the garlic powder and the onion powder. These will give the familiar and delicious flavor of the traditional meat dishes with garlic and onion.
Other options of seasonings are also good for this recipe, such as paprika, or chili powder and cayenne pepper if you want some spiciness for the nuggets.
Breaded Tokwa Sauce or Dip
Just like any other nuggets, these delicious tokwa nuggets can be partnered with the good old fashioned ketchup and mayonnaise! But if you’re feeling a bit extra, you can use other kinds of sauces you prefer.
A good recommendation would be smothering the nuggets with some soy sauce and oyster sauce, since tofu naturally goes well with those flavors.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Breaded Tokwa Nuggets Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 250 g tokwa (tofu), cut into 2-inch cubes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic powder, (optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder, (optional)
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp cooking oil, for frying
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add-in the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Mix well and the pour-in the water. Mix until no lumps are seen.
- In a separate bowl, add-in the breadcrumbs.
- Prepare the tokwa (tofu) nuggets and dip them into the flour mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs. Do it until the nuggets are fully coated.
- In a cooking pan, pour-in and heat the cooking oil over low to medium heat.
- Add-in the tofu nuggets. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray and dry excess oil with paper towels. Serve with a dip of your choice and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂