Canned Tuna Nuggets (Tuna De Lata + Skyflakes) is a new trend quickly becoming popular everywhere in the country. It is a quick level up from your regular breakfasts, afternoon merienda or even for dinner!
It is something you can make regularly since it’s quick and easy to make, plus it’s also super cheap! So if you’re bored from eating the regular canned tuna, why not make these simply irresistible tuna nuggets? Surprise your family with one of these and it is certain that they will love it, kids and adults alike!
In this recipe article, we will help you make your own upgraded version of the usual canned tuna without sacrificing too much budget–of course–made at home!
You can get rid of your afternoon (or even midnight) cravings without doing so much effort at all. So be sure to read the full article and know how to make this super easy recipe!
What is “Canned Tuna Nuggets”?
Canned tuna simply consists of tuna meat made in the form of ‘flakes’ usually soaked in vegetable oil or water. The industry is said to have quickly grown as a substitute for canned sardines back in the day.
It became common here in the Philippines, mainly because there is also an abundance of tuna near our oceans. This canned food is easily available and you can find it almost everywhere you go. From your local sari-sari stores, to large supermarkets, you’ll be sure to find one of these.
Another reason why this canned food is so popular is–even though it has some preservations and it is cheap–it still has a lot of health benefits to offer.
The most popular benefit, and one of the things you probably already know, tuna is good for the heart. It contains omega-3 fatty acids which promotes balance in the blood vessels, reducing the amount of cholesterols in your body.
Aside from that, tuna also boasts lowering the blood pressure, and boosts the immune system. For those who go on a diet, this is also perfect because it is low in fat content, and thus promotes weight loss.
How To Cook Canned Tuna Nuggets
As we have said on and on earlier, making these tuna flakes nuggets is super easy! You will be able to prepare and cook this dish in a matter of minutes.
First thing you do is to make these tuna flakes into nuggets. While crushing the crackers, it is advisable that you use a rolling pin or any other hard object to make finer cracker fillings.
Just mix all of the ingredients and form it in a shape that you know will be easy to cook all around. Once that’s done, all you have to do is fry the nuggets! Make sure that all of the sides are cooked evenly so you have perfect tuna nuggets.
This recipe also includes a video below. You can also visit our Youtube channel for more recipes!
If you want a small variation to our tuna nuggets, instead of making it into an actual “nugget,” you can flatten it more to have more area, and now you have a tuna patty! Partner it with burger buns or tasty bread, and a dip or sauce of your choice and you now have your delicious tuna burger.
Notes On Ingredients
For this ingredient, in this recipe we used Century Tuna Flakes in vegetable oil. But you can use any other canned tuna brand you want.
We used Skyflakes for this recipe, but you can use any other brand of crackers of your choice.
This is optional, but dipping the tuna nuggets will make it even more delicious. You can use mayonnaise, ketchup, or garlic dips, for example.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Canned Tuna Nuggets Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 1 can of tuna flakes in oil, oil drained
- 2 packs of crackers
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 pc small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crush the crackers while it is still inside the pack using a rolling pin any hard object.
- In a large bowl, add-in the crackers, tuna flakes, chopped onions, and all-purpose flour. Mix them well.
- Add salt and pepper to the mixture and mix until all the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture and compress until the ingredients form a nugget. Form it into a rectangle with ½ inch height for easy cooking.
- Repeat the previous step for the rest of the ingredients.
- Prepare a frying pan and pour-in some cooking oil. Apply low to medium heat and wait until it is hot.
- Add-in the nuggets and fry them until it is golden brown.
- Flip the nuggets and let it fry once more. Do this until all the sides are golden brown.
- Prepare a serving tray or serving plate and place a paper towel on it to absorb the excess oil. Then transfer the tuna nuggets to the plate.
- Prepare a sauce or dip of your choice. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂