Whether you want to treat yourself or your company some kind of special dish, this is the perfect dish to try and make! The Chicken Cordon Bleu is a dish that is simple, yet is really presentable, and definitely appetizing. Try this delicious chicken recipe right now!
This article contains loads of information including important cooking tips. Make sure you read below before jumping to the yummy recipe.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
The chicken cordon bleu is a dish made of chicken, that is made into wrap with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese inside. This is then breaded, and is either pan fried or baked. This results into a crispy stuffed chicken dish commonly served during catered events, especially here in the Philippines.
The dish’s name might sound confusing, since it pertains to a chef holding a high reputation, yet the dish is so simple and easy to make. It has something to do with the olden times where the chef’s blue apron is compared to a knight’s blue ribbon (which is the literal meaning of cordon bleu).
Cooking for a party or event? Why not pair this with Pinoy spaghetti!
How to make Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Making chicken cordon bleu at home is actually really easy. In fact, it is probably the reason why it is a very popular choice for caterers here all around the country to pick this one since it is so easy to make and you could easily have a large batch of these in a short amount of time.
For arranging the chicken cordon bleu, all you have to do is to place the chicken breast on top of a flat surface, flatten it, and then proceed to add the cheese slice and then the sweet ham slice on the top center of the chicken breast.
If you’re following the recipe exactly, one piece of the cheese slice (or two to three cheese sticks) and a piece of pre-cut sweet ham (available in supermarkets) would be ideal for one piece of chicken breast.
After placing the slices, the next would be to roll the chicken breast from one end to the other, securing the cheese and ham slice in place. Toothpicks needed to be in place to make sure that the roll wouldn’t break apart. But in this recipe, we recommend using cling wraps to secure the rolls.
Lastly, coat the rolls with the breading and fry. Watch our video below to see a detailed step to step guide on how to do this.
Cheesy Cream Sauce
Chicken cordon bleu is not complete without its partner sauce. Some may prefer it without the sauce, but for me, it isn’t cordon bleu if it doesn’t come with one.
Different recipes may also come with different ways of coming up with the sauce. We like to partner it with something cheesy and creamy so take a chance to try out our sauce. You’ll also find it in the recipe below.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Tips:
- If you want a little more convenience at the expense of a little more effort, a tip you can do is to cut a small pocket on top of the chicken breast, enough to fit the cheese slice and the ham slice in it. This way, it will be much easier to roll and it will prevent the cheese from melting out once you start to fry it!
- For additional flavor and convenience for the whole process, you can brush the chicken breasts with butter mixed with seasonings like salt and pepper. This will help the batter to stick nicely to the chicken breast. So the straightforward way of doing it is to dredge the chicken breast rolls into the flour, then into the egg, and then into the bread crumbs.
This recipe also includes a video below. You can also visit our Youtube channel for more recipes!
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu With Cheesy Cream Sauce Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 4 pcs skinless boneless chicken breast
- 4 pcs sweet ham
- 4 pcs cheese slices, or 8-12 pcs cheese sticks
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Breading:
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup bread crumbs, we used panko or japanese bread crumbs
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup fresh milk
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a chopping board or a flat working space, cut open the chicken breast like a butterfly to make the meat thinner.
- With the back of a knife, lightly pound the chicken to flatten (you can also use a meat tenderizer tool).
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the sweet ham above the flattened chicken meat.
- Then place the cheese slice above the ham.
- Roll together and secure ends with toothpicks or wrap around with cling wrap.
- Do this for the rest of the ingredients.
- In case you are using cling wrap, place in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- After chilling, prepare the breading ingredients and remove the cling wrap.
- Coat the chicken roll with flour.
- Then coat with the beaten egg.
- Then coat with the bread crumbs.
- Repeat this for the rest of the rolls.
- Pour some cooking oil, enough to cover half of the rolls and apply low to medium heat (you can also deep fry).
- Once hot enough, fry one side of the rolls for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Then flip and fry the opposite side until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Allow to cool down before slicing.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the sauce.
- In a saucepan, add-in the butter and apply heat to melt.
- Once melted, lower the heat and add in the flour while continually stirring.
- Slowly add-in the milk while continually stirring until the mixture has completely dissolved.
- Add-in salt and pepper to taste.
- Add-in the cheese then stir until it dissolves and the sauce thickens.
- Once the chicken cordon bleu is cool enough, slice them crosswise and pour sauce on top. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂