Here is a quite festive meatloaf dish you can easily make at home–the Chicken Embutido.
It is perfect for all kinds of occasions, to normal weekday dinners, up to special events and special occasions, the embutido sure does not fall out as one of the best choices because of its convenience. Continue reading the article to learn more about how to cook this delicious chicken embutido.
What is Chicken Embutido?
Embutido is a meatloaf popularized by the Filipinos which boasts a number of different ingredients, but still complement each other in one flavorful dish.
These ingredients typically include ground pork, carrots, raisins mixed with eggs, and breadcrumbs, but instead of the usual ground pork, we are going to use ground chicken, for those who want to avoid eating pork.
How to Make Chicken Embutido?
Making embutido is a really easy task. Let’s break down the tasks for a more streamlined process of making this dish. The first one you have to do is to make the mixture of the wet ingredients, and then make another mixture for the dry ingredients.
The next part is to prepare making a meatloaf out of the mixtures. And then the last step would be to steam them.
Slowly incorporate the egg mixture into this meat mixture while stirring. The amount of seasoning you need to do is entirely up to you. If you want to adjust the taste, you can test it out by frying a small portion of it and taste that, then adjust the seasoning accordingly.
When shaping the mixture into a cylinder-shaped meatloaf. Make sure the size of your aluminum foil is spacious enough when you flatten the mixture. A good thing to remember is you must leave a space on each side (about 1 to 2 inches) so we can easily lock the embutido in the aluminum foil.
To steam the embutido, it’s acceptable to use high heat when steaming the meatloaf if you want to steam it for a shorter period of time. It can be served immediately once it cools down a bit. But if you want to reserve it for other days, you can store it in the refrigerator and it will still remain delicious.
Notes on Ingredients
If you want your embutido to feel and look more festive, these are some other common ingredients which you can add to the embutido recipe: You can add hotdogs or sausages, hard-boiled eggs, and sliced cheddar cheese in this recipe.
All you have to do is once you flatten the meatloaf, arrange these additional ingredients in the center and then proceed to roll.
Chicken Embutido Tips:
- Adding red hotdogs in the chicken embutido might give the whole meatloaf a reddish color. If you don’t mind having it that way, you can simply ignore it. But for some others who feel a little bit off about the appearance of the embutido but still want these hotdogs, all you have to do is to soak the hotdogs in the water and let the redness wash away.
- Make sure that the seal must be tight once you wrap the embutido in aluminum foil. This will maximize the flavor of the chicken embutido because the juices being let out while the meatloaf is steaming will be kept inside, giving you a super yummy chicken embutido.
- You can choose to fry the chicken embutido, if you choose to refrigerate it after steaming it. This method will give more flavor and the heat from frying will make the cheese melt, giving a satisfying taste in every bite of the chicken embutido.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Easy Chicken Embutido Recipe
- 1 kg ground chicken
- 1 pc small-sized onion, chopped
- 1 pc medium-sized carrot, minced
- 1 pc red bell pepper, minced
- 1 pc green bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup raisin
- ½ cup sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 pcs raw egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add-in the beaten egg, and breadcrumbs. Mix until well-incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, add-in all the other ingredients. Mix until well-incorporated.
- Pour-in the egg mixture into the meat mixture. And stir until the ingredients are well-blended.
- Divide the mixture into 4 or 5 equal portions. Put each mixture on an aluminum foil then spread and flatten it with just enough space at the edges of the aluminum foil.
- Roll the aluminum foil, making a log shape. Twist the edges of the foil to lock.
- Transfer to a steamer. Steam for 40 to 60 minutes.
- Let it cool. Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray or place in the refrigerator for future use. Enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂