One of the Filipino favorite pica-pica is the Crispy Beef Tadyang or Tadyang ng Baka (Beef Ribs).
I’m sure that the reason why you’re here is probably because you’re out of options to serve your family or your friends during your usual night outs, am I right? We are familiar with the usual dishes or pulutan, like the pork sisig, sizzling hotdog, kinilaw, among many others.
Here is another dish that is also quite common but is irresistible enough to make you eat this dish over and over again for your late night sessions—the Crispy Beef Tadyang.
Be sure to read this article to see how to make the best Crispy Beef Tadyang for your family and friends. The article shares a detailed explanation on how to make it just the way you imagine it would be so you won’t have any problems along the way.
What is Crispy Beef Tadyang?
This savory dish is quite popular and is usually partnered with beef during social gatherings or just a late night session with your family or with your friends. This is made out of beef spare ribs that are cooked twice, by first boiling it and then deep frying it to achieve the crispy perfection.
Some seasonings partnered with the dish include onions, garlic, star anise, bay leaf, sugar and soy sauce. This gives the irresistible savory taste that is best served with a vinegar sauce.
How to Cook Crispy Beef Tadyang?
Cooking the Crispy Beef Tadyang might not be your usual routine just like the other popular dishes, but this one definitely gives you a rewarding feeling when you do it successfully.
So to make things a little less confusing, we are going to break down the process in three main parts.
One is boiling the beef spareribs, second is letting it chill or letting it freeze, and then last is deep-frying the beef spareribs. Once that’s done, you have a super crispy beef tadyang.
First step, we are going to boil the spare ribs. Just make sure that the beef tadyang is fully submerged in water and add the necessary ingredients to bring out the flavor of the beef.
The goal of this process is to make the spare ribs tender but not to the point where it easily breaks down. So keep an eye on it from time to time while boiling.
The next step is to let the beef spare ribs chill in the refrigerator. After drying the beef from the boiling session that we did, place the beef in the refrigerator uncovered.
It is recommended to keep it chill as long as possible so the best choice to leave it overnight. But if time is of the essence, at least a couple of hours would do. The goal of freezing the spare ribs is to make it extra crispy once we fry it.
The last process is to deep fry the ribs. Remember that once the ribs are submerged in the hot oil, it might splatter, so be sure to cover it, or if you have a splatter guard available with you, it’s best to use it.
A deep casserole is also recommended to lessen the chance of splattering outside the pot.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Crispy Beef Tadyang (Beef Ribs) Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- 1 kg beef spareribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pc medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 3 pcs star anise
- 3 pcs bay leaves (laurel leaves)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- cooking oil, for deep frying
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 pcs chili pepper, chopped
- 1 pc small-sized onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large cooking pot, add in the beef spareribs, onions, garlic, star anise, bay leaf, sugar soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 90 to 120 minutes or until beef is tender and cooked through. Remove scum that rises.
- Set the beef spareribs aside to dry and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, pour in enough oil for the spareribs and apply medium to high heat.
- Add in the beef spareribs. Deep fry until crispy.
- Transfer into a serving plate or serving tray. Dry excess oil with paper towels. Serve with the vinegar dip and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂