Crispy Sizzling Tofu Sisig is a delicious and creative way of cooking tofu. Try this easy recipe!
Do you ever think about restaurant food and you just have this urge to make it a little bit more fitting to your taste, or maybe you just want the idea of having that kind of food at the comfort of your own home?
This dish is the perfect one to try out at home as it boasts a lot of flavor that could impress your family, and is on the healthier side, too!
Try out this Max’s restaurant-inspired recipe right now! Be sure to read along to learn some tips along the way.
What is Tofu Sisig?
Tofu sisig is a unique dish popularized by the famous restaurant—Max’s—here in the Philippines. It is made out of tofu cut into cubes that are stir fried or deep fried, in combination with chili peppers, bell peppers, and onions and garlic.
Compared to other sisig dishes like pork sisig or chicken sisig, this is a better alternative for those with health issues, and is still irresistibly delicious at the same time.
For those of you who don’t know, the traditional sisig is made out of pork, particularly the pig’s ears, and pig’s head. This is a dish which originated from Pampanga and is similarly partnered with onions, garlic, chili peppers, and is seasoned with calamansi and soy sauce.
How to Cook Tofu Sisig?
Having the tofu sisig is a unique experience but it is not at all any different to other dishes usually cooked. So if you’re a beginner or you’ve been cooking for a while now, it will be a straightforward process and you will not have a hard time here.
The key to making a good tofu sisig is to make sure that we cook the tofu the best way possible—of course. This means that we need to manage it properly from the moment we buy it, unpack it, and cook it. So if you’ve bought the tofu from the market, it usually comes with liquid.
So before doing the whole cooking thing, you must make sure that the tofu is completely dry first. You can dry it by letting it sit in a bowl for about 30 minutes.
Deep frying the tofu can be quite tricky since you need to properly gauge the heat of the oil when cooking. The oil must be hot enough before you toss in the tofu. If it is not hot enough the tofu might tend to stick and will absorb too much grease.
If it gets too hot on the other hand, the outside of the tofu will get burnt long before the insides get cooked. The general tip is make it hot enough just before it starts to smoke.
While it requires more attentiveness when it comes to stir frying, this is the easier option in my opinion. Just make sure to coat the whole pan with oil and let it heat for a while. Toss in the tofu and allow it to be lightly browned, making sure that the texture is firm, before turning.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Crispy Sizzling Tofu Sisig Recipe
- Cooking Pan
- 500 g or 2 packs firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc small-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pc small-sized green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 pcs chili peppers, you can use red or green
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- In a wide cooking pan, pour in and heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in the tofu. Cook until golden and crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Allow to absorb excess oil and set aside.
- In a cooking pan, add in the butter. Add in the garlic and onions. Saute until softened.
- Add in the bell peppers and chili peppers. Cook, while stirring regularly, until tender and crispy.
- Add in the oyster sauce, water, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the liquids are slightly reduced.
- Add back in the tofu and then add in the mayonnaise. Make sure that the tofu is evenly coated and heated through.
- Transfer to a serving plate or a sizzling plate. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂