The Filipino Buko Pie (or Young Coconut Pie) is specifically known to have originated in a town in Laguna. And the staple was, everytime you come visit the place, you have to grab one of those super yummy and creamy desserts that they have.
It is something you cannot do everyday, undoubtedly. But now, you can learn to make this special buko pie at home and surprise your family or your friends with a special pasalubong they thought they’d only get at one place!
Continue to read the recipe article below to learn how to make this one-of-a-kind dessert. See some trivia, as well as some tips along the way for the famous and special Buko Pie.
What is Buko Pie?
The buko pie is a popular and iconic treat all over the Philippines which is composed of fresh and tender young coconut meat made into a creamy and custard-y pie, similar to the also famous American apple pie, which is where this is based from.
The famous buko pie is said to have originated in the province of Laguna–particularly in a small town called Los Baños.
It is said that a certain lady named Soledad Pahud invented this scrumptious dessert because she learned how to make apple pies when she was still living in the US. And since apples are not easily available here, a substitute ingredient–the coconut–which is very abundant here in the Philippines, is used.
How to Make Buko Pie?
Making buko pie is not as hard as it looks. It may look somehow overwhelming, but it can easily be done, especially with the help of this recipe. You just need to think about two main processes when making the buko pie. One is the making of the filling mixture, and then the other is making of the pie crust dough.
A good thing to note is you can make the dough first, and then let that rest for a while. While waiting for the dough to set through time, you can make your filling mixture, to save some time while making the buko pie.
It is also important to note that the cornstarch must be well-blended with the whole mixture, to avoid some lumps and for the filling to set properly once baked.
Buko Pie Tips
- You can make ahead of time. The buko pie does not easily get stale if stored properly. Just keep it nicely sealed and place it in the refrigerator and it will remain fresh for up to at least 5 days.
- You can serve it cold and it will still be delicious, but you can also heat in the microwave if you want that fresh taste for the buko pie.
- You can add more flavor to the buko pie by adding more ingredients such as mango syrup or pineapple syrup. If you want to make a fresh syrup (e.g. mango syrup), you can just boil dried mangoes with some sugar and wait for the consistency to become thick.
- The syrup that is produced can be strained and that will be what you will add to the filling ingredients.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Easy Buko Pie Recipe
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, cold
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose cream
- 3 cups coconut meat, chopped
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
Egg Wash Ingredients:
- 1 pc egg
- ⅓ cup fresh milk
- In a small bowl, dilute the cornstarch in the water.
- In a cooking pan over medium heat, pour-in the all-purpose cream. Add the sugar, and the chopped coconut meat. Then add-in the cornstarch mixture. Mix well until the consistency thickens.
Pie Crust Procedure:
- In a mixing bowl, add-in the all-purpose flour, salt and butter. Mix until well-incorporated.
- Pour-in the water. Stir until thick consistency is achieved.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll the one half of the dough to flatten and widen it until enough to cover the baking pan.
- Fit the other half of the dough (the crust) into the mold and cut out the excess portion.
- Place the filling into the pan and then cover it with the fitted crust. Seal both ends together and brush with the egg wash mixture. Poke holes on the top crust using a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes at 200 C.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂