The Egg Caldereta is a good way to enjoy an irresistible dish which is a lot cheaper than the usual ones. Instead of having meat like chicken, goat, or beef, we use cheaper choices like the egg.
This is a great idea when you’re trying to avoid meat or you simply want a dish that’s vegetarian, or when you’re a little bit on the tighter side of budgeting things but still want to extend a simple ingredient into something extravagant for your family.
In this recipe article, you can upgrade a simple egg dish and learn how to make a caldereta–using eggs! This is perfect to enjoy with your family.
Continue to read on below to see some tips and tricks, along with some trivia about the delicious–but still friendly to your wallet–egg caldereta or what we call the kalderetang itlog.
What is Egg Caldereta?
A caldereta or kaldereta is a famous type of stew in the Philippines. Some variations of this stew includes the use of beef, pork, or even chicken. But the traditional one of making this is through the use of goat meat.
The meat is then smothered in a thick tomato-based sauce usually coupled with liver spread, and some other ingredients like potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers.
For this recipe, instead of using expensive meat, we use a cheaper alternative ingredient–eggs. This gives off the familiar taste of an indulging caldereta, in an economic way.
How to Make Egg Caldereta?
The egg caldereta might seem like a difficult dish to do, but it is actually pretty friendly even for beginners. To start, let’s make it easier to visualize by breaking down the whole procedure into three easy and achievable processes: First off, we need to boil the eggs. Second, we need to prepare our other ingredients. And last, we need to cook them.
First part is we need to boil the eggs. You have two options for this depending on how you want the eggs to be. If you want to have the eggs maintain its shape, you can just soak the eggs in boiling water.
Another option is to crack the eggs open and then boil it afterwards, this way, you have more options of cutting the eggs depending on your preference. And if you want to, you could also fry it for a few minutes before adding it into the other ingredients.
When preparing the ingredients, it is best if they are cut in similar sizes, so that they will be all cooked at the same time and avoid undercooked ingredients floating around. Cooking the ingredients is just a matter of adding the ingredients into the pan one-by-one.
Just be mindful of the whole process of cooking to avoid overcooking them and you’re good to go.
Notes on Ingredients
The green bell peppers and bell peppers are a good addition and are common to most caldereta dishes. But if they’re not available, you can omit them and you’ll still have a delicious caldereta.
If soy sauce is not in your preferred choices of ingredients, you can replace that with a fish sauce. But keep in mind that the traditional recipe of a caldereta uses soy sauce, if you want to remain faithful to the said recipe.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Egg Caldereta (Kalderetang Itlog) Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- 8 pcs egg, hard boiled, peeled
- 1 pc large potato, cut into cubes
- 1 pc large carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 pc small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pc small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 pack (250 g) tomato sauce
- ½ cup liver spread
- 2 cups water, or chicken broth
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated, (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil, for frying
- In a cooking pot, pour-in and heat oil over medium heat.
- Add-in the cubed potatoes and cubed carrots. Cook until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In the same cooking pot, add-in the chopped onion and minced garlic. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft and aromatic.
- Add-in the water, soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then add-in the tomato sauce, liver spread, and grated cheese, and hard boiled eggs. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add-in the sliced green bell peppers and sliced red bell peppers, and then add back in the cubed potatoes and cubed carrots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂