Growing up, we Filipinos tend to have the same breakfast day after day. The most common ones you can find in the table are bread, some pandesal, coffee, or maybe cereals, for others. This recipe is something which you can try out to make your day a little different and still quite familiar at the same time. This article teaches you how to make the Rice Pancake!
It is an unusual but delicious take on the famous pancakes so do give it a try!
What is a Rice Pancake?
The rice pancake is a unique variation of the famous breakfast pancakes. There might be other recipes that use rice flour for making this pancake, but here in this recipe, we are going to use actual rice.
Some of the ingredients included are the ones commonly found in a typical Filipino household and some are easily available in local stores or groceries all around the country, such as sugar, coconut milk and coconut cream, baking powder, and yeast.
How to Make Filipino Rice Pancake?
Although it might seem quite an effort to make the rice pancakes since it takes some time to finish, it is not that hard at all. First, you need to prepare the yeast mixture.
After that, once you have prepared your rice ingredients, all you have to do is to mix the rice ingredients with the coconut ingredients and then proceed to blend them to make a batter. Just combine the two mixtures and let the yeast do its job for an hour or two.
And that’s pretty much it, all that’s left to do is to cook the pancakes.
Rice Pancake Tips:
- In case you don’t have a blender or a food processor with you, making the rice into a batter is difficult but is doable. You don’t have to rush things and repeatedly pound the rice mixture just to have them mashed. This is because they might break down in an undesirable way, especially if you use a food processor in a high setting. Just gently press them using a fork or whatever tool you’re using until it is smooth.
Notes on Ingredients
This recipe recommends you to use coconut milk and coconut cream (gata and kakang gata, respectively). This gives a fresher and more natural sweet and delicious taste for the pancake.
But since it might be quite a task to make the milk and the cream from the coconut milk, an alternative you can use is condensed milk and all-purpose cream. Just remember to adjust the sweetness of the recipe by adding or lessening the amount of the sweet ingredients.
Some other ingredients you can use for additional sweeteners are vanilla extract, or cinnamon powder, just to mention a few. The amount of sugar can be adjusted depending on how sweet you want the pancakes to be, but this recipe gives a really nice and not-so-overpowering sweet taste so you still might want to try this.
The rice pancake is really tasty on its own and it is completely fine if you prefer it that way. But toppings can make the experience even better!
You can use common toppings for the typical pancake such as a pancake syrup or maple syrup and butter. Another suggestion is to partner the rice pancake with coffee, since this one is a traditional Filipino breakfast pair.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Filipino Rice Pancake Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Food Processor
- 3 cups uncooked rice, soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, For frying
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a small bowl, add-in the yeast, sugar, and pour-in warm water. Mix until well-blended. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl. Add-in the uncooked rice, and cooked rice. Mix until evenly distributed.
- In a blender or food processor, add-in the rice mixture and pour-in the coconut milk, then pour-in the coconut cream. Blend until a smooth and thick consistency is achieved.
- Transfer to a bowl and then combine the rice mixture with the yeast mixture. Cover with a plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a cooking pan greased with oil over low heat, pour-in about half a cup of the mixture. Cook until bubbles are formed. Flip to the other side. Cook until brown. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray. Serve with syrup or partner with coffee and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂