Here’s something you can add to your arsenal of delicious recipes, especially for the holidays–the Filipino Style Paella!
It is really special to make since it looks intimidating to cook at first, because of the number of ingredients involved. But once you have all of the ingredients, cooking it is nothing like it looks, because it will only be a breeze.
Continue to read on below the recipe article to see some trivia, as well as some tips for this irresistible seafood paella.
What is Paella?
Paella is one of the most popular Spanish dishes that has been adapted here in the Philippines due to the Spanish colonization and cultural influences back in the day.
There are many variations when it comes to making the paella, but what’s popular nowadays here in the Philippines is the Seafood Paella. It is composed of seafood such as squid, shrimp, and mussels, along with the popular spices used in paella–the saffron and paprika. These are then mixed and cooked with the rice.
How to Make Filipino Style Paella?
Making the Pinoy paella may seem a bit hard and overwhelming, but it is completely doable, even for beginners.
To start with making this dish. The main thing we need to think about is to let the flavors of each ingredient blend with each other, so we are only going to cook all of the ingredients in one large skillet or paellera.
First ingredients we need to cook are the squid and the shrimp. Wait until they are cooked and then proceed to set them aside. Next, we add the onion and the garlic. Just cook them until they are translucent and start to be aromatic and then set aside.
Then we boil the water and pour in the remaining ingredients, and let the rice cook there to absorb all the flavors. That will all be done in the same pan, and that’s pretty much it. Toss back the other ingredients we set aside back into the rice mix.
- If you still have fresh mussels, all you have to do with them is to boil them in water over high heat and then wait until the shells open. If there are some mussels which did not open, you can simply discard them.
- Use the pan specifically made for paella if you have one. It is a large and shallow pan which allows moisture to evaporate faster, this way, it will be easier for the rice to expand. If you don’t have this available with you, a wide skillet that’s not too heavy-bottomed is enough to make delicious paella.
- It is important to let the rice cook through, so don’t stir once you cover the skillet to simmer the rice. So make sure that the ingredients are well distributed quickly once tossed into the skillet and then leave the rice to cook.
- If you have ample time before serving the dish, you can let the rice cook for a bit, about 10 to 15 minutes, after turning off the heat to avoid it from being too moist from the cooking.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Filipino Style Paella Recipe
- 2 cups long-grained rice, uncooked
- 1 pc large-sized squid, sliced into rings
- 10 pcs large-sized shrimps
- 10 pcs mussels (tahong), cooked
- 10 pcs shell clams (halaan), cooked
- 4 pcs chorizo, cooked and chopped (optional)
- 2 pcs eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc medium-sized tomato, diced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp saffron
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, pour-in and heat cooking oil over medium heat.
- Add-in the shrimp and the squid. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
- In the same oil, add-in the chopped onion, and minced garlic. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until aromatic and soft. Set aside.
- Add-in the rice. Saute for 5 minutes. Pour-in the water and bring to a boil.
- Set to low heat. Add-in the tomatoes, paprika, saffron, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add back in the garlic and onion then pour-in the tomato sauce. Mix until well-incorporated. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray then top with the mussels, shell clams, chorizo, eggs, squid, and shrimp. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂