Pinaupong Manok Sa Asin— A unique Filipino chicken dish named after the way the chicken is cooked seated on a bed of salt.
Come to think about it, I don’t know anyone who isn’t a sucker for any food that includes chicken, am I right? I know that just by looking at the image from this recipe article, you are probably drooling right now and can’t wait to try this out for an extra special dinner!
This is called the Pinaupong Manok, or what is a Filipino-style roast chicken. You might think that this is similar from the popular Max’s fried chicken, if you are familiar with it, but this is different from that and it boasts explosive flavors that will leave you wanting for more.
So what are we waiting for? Read the recipe and this article now to learn how to make this delicious and festive looking dish! There are some tips and some trivia about this Filipino dish so be sure to read all of them.
What is Pinaupong Manok?
Pinaupong manok is a Filipino-style chicken dish wherein—as the name of the dish states—the chicken is positioned in a manner that it looks like it is sitting in a bed of rock salt. The literal translation of the pinaupong manok is ‘seated chicken’.
This chicken is cooked with its own juices and through the build up of heat all over the chicken, which is through steaming or roasting. Aside from that, additional flavors are added through seasonings such as salt and pepper, and other options such as thyme, paprika, rosemary.
Pinaupong Manok Tips:
- The first thing you need to make sure of is to see that the whole chicken is clean. You can simply clean it by letting the chicken run under cold water. Keep in mind that the chicken cavity must be also clean to ensure safeness.
- For this recipe, the only listed seasonings are salt and pepper but you can still enjoy the chicken with other seasonings according to your taste, so feel free to add other spices such as paprika, rosemary, thyme, chili pepper powders, ginger, among others.
- For this recipe to yield the best results, it is recommended that the chicken is placed upright while cooking, which is of course, what the name of this dish suggests. So to make it easier for you to balance the chicken, you can peel and then cut a whole onion in half and then place it nicely in the chicken cavity, and it will help the chicken sit in the right position.
- The result of this dish is heavily dependent on how you cook it, so it is important that you have a heavy-bottomed pot available with you. It is recommended that you are able to close the pot with a tightly fitted lid, for the steam from the cooking to not to escape and ensure a steady temperature.
- It is okay to have more than two cups of rock salt ready, if you feel like it is not enough to cover the base of the pot. You need to make sure that you have a bed of rock salt at the bottom because it keeps the bottom of the chicken from being burnt aside from infusing its flavors to the chicken.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Pinaupong Manok Sa Asin Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- 1 pc whole chicken, cleaned
- 1 head garlic, pounded
- 1 pc large-sized onion, peeled
- 1 bunch lemongrass, root part pounded
- 2 cups rock salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a clean working space, rub salt and pepper, and pounded garlic all over the chicken as desired. Make sure that the chicken cavity is well-seasoned. Let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Add-in the lemongrass and the onion inside the cavity of the chicken.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, add in the rock salt, forming a base and making sure that it is evenly distributed and about 1 to 2 inches deep.
- Place the chicken in an upright position on top of the rock salt base.
- Cover the pot and set to medium heat. Cook for 1 to 2 hours or until temperature reads 75 C (165 F).
- Arrange the chicken to a serving plate or serving tray. Serve with a dipping sauce and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂