What’s the best way to end the night after an exhausting day at work or at school? I’ll tell you what. It’s basking in the creaminess and deliciousness of the Pinoy version of the famed Carbonara pasta–made creamier and sweeter!
This delicious pasta dish that’s flavorful and on point with the Filipino taste can be made easily even on a busy weeknight since it only takes less than an hour to make.
In this recipe article, you will learn how to make a version of the carbonara that’s made to please your taste buds. You can even impress your friends and family with it, even if you’re still a beginner when it comes to cooking.
So continue to read below to learn more about the carbonara and some tips and tricks which might help you along your journey in making the best Pinoy-Style Creamy Carbonara.
What is Pinoy Style Carbonara?
Pinoy style carbonara is–from its name–a Filipino take on the pasta dish of the same name which originated in Italy. This pasta makes use of bacon and mushrooms partnered with a thick creamy sauce and smothered with cheese.
This became the staple style over the years, since Filipinos love sweeter and creamier types of food in general. There are other variations when making the Pinoy style carbonara, ranging from the simple ones to extravagant ones, depending on the occasion.
But what about the original carbonara? Well, it is one of the most popular foods in Italy. This pasta is traditionally made from spaghetti, eggs, and cheese, along with guanciale or pancetta (types of pork).
These ingredients are cheap and can be easily found in Italian households, and are available almost everywhere. That’s why this is the perfect pasta for people who are busy, and is especially popular in university students nowadays.
How to Cook Pinoy Style Carbonara?
Preparing the Pinoy style carbonara is not as hard as you think, it is a straightforward process and does not require too much time and thinking, so this won’t stress you out. The process involves cooking the pasta, and then cooking the other ingredients, then creating a thick and creamy sauce.
When cooking the pasta, the package usually has instructions in it on how to cook it. But it is a good idea to cook the pasta a minute less than what’s listed on the package to avoid overcooking the pasta, since it’s still going to be cooked while mixing it with the other ingredients.
For cooking the other ingredients, it is recommended to leave some of the pork fat of the bacon for its flavors to be combined to the whole dish, giving it a fuller flavor. We also add in a meat broth in the mix so we still have a meaty flavor and not be overpowered by the cream.
If you’re feeling that you’re lacking some of the ingredients, especially the bacon and cream, do not be afraid to add more! The more bacon you add means a crispy and savory taste in every bite, and the more cream you put in means a thicker sauce. So if you want that, go for it.
Carbonara Pasta Variants
The most common pasta noodles used for the carbonara is spaghetti, but it is not limited to that of course! If you want to try a different texture for the carbonara, you can also use other types of pasta such as the linguine, fettuccine, or even penne.
All these would result in the same carbonara creamy goodness, but with just a slightly different feel to it.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Pinoy Style Carbonara Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- Cooking Pan
- 450 g spaghetti pasta
- 250 g bacon, cut into half-inch slices
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups all-purpose cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup meat broth, (pork, chicken, or beef)
- 6-8 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a cooking pot, pour-in the water, then add-in salt as desired. Bring to a boil.
- Add-in the spaghetti pasta. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly firm. Drain and set aside.
- In a cooking pan, add-in the bacon. Cook until fat comes out and crispy. Set aside.
- In the same cooking pan leaving a small amount of bacon fat, add-in the butter, and minced garlic. Saute until aromatic.
- Add-in the sliced mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Pour-in the meat broth, and all-purpose cream. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce becomes slightly thick.
- Apply low heat and add-in parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add-in the pasta, and the bacon. Mix until well-incorporated with the sauce.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray. Serve with additional parmesan cheese as needed. Enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂