Nothing says comfort food like the Pork Pastel. It is a great way to spend special occasions along with your family and with friends with this creamy and indulging dish.
You can even make it for lunch, dinner, or for any time you want actually, since this recipe will be much easier than the usual types of the pastel dish. So continue to read on below to see some tips and some tricks, as well as some trivia about this flavorful pork pastel.
What is Pork Pastel?
This dish is a variation of the famous chicken pastel, which is very popular here in the Philippines, especially when holidays are coming near. It is pretty much the same as the said dish, but instead of using chicken, we make this dish with pork.
This is creamy, sweet and savory type of stew made out of evaporated milk, or cream, mixed with pork, some hotdogs or sausages, mushrooms, potatoes and carrots, among others.
It is usually made with a pie crust, but for this version, we are going to make it quick and easy while still being as delicious, so it can be made without sweat, even for beginners!
How to Cook Pork Pastel?
To start making this delicious pork pastel, let’s go over to what the procedure would be like and break down the whole process: First thing we have to do, we need to prepare our ingredients, since it is quite a lot and it would take a lot of slicing and cutting.
And second, we are going to cook the prepared ingredients, which is a straightforward process. We are just going to toss in the ingredients into one pan and mix all the flavors together to get that creamy goodness.
For the preparation of the ingredients, be sure to cut them in sizes which are equal as possible. This is to avoid having some of the ingredients raw and undercooked, and to make sure that all of them would be cooked at the same time for a full flavor.
For the other meat ingredients such as hotdogs or sausages, you can substitute it with ham or maybe even bacon if you prefer those, since it may not be available in your location, especially if you’re not in the Philippines.
When cooking the pork pastel, just make sure that all of the ingredients are tender, and check them from time to time if some of the ingredients are getting overcooked. And that’s pretty much it, without too much hassle, you’re going to be eating this delightful dish.
Notes on Ingredients
The recipe uses evaporated milk as the sweetener for the dish. It does its job well, but if you want to have a more creamy type of pork pastel, you can substitute that ingredient for an all-purpose cream since it has a thicker consistency than the evaporated milk.
Or if you don’t have all-purpose cream with you at the moment, you can partner cornstarch with the evaporated milk and it will still result in a thicker consistency.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Creamy Pork Pastel Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- 1 kg pork liempo (pork belly), cut into cubes
- 1 pc medium-sized onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pcs medium-sized potato, cut into cubes
- 1 pc large-sized carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 pc small-sized red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 pc small-sized green bell pepper, cut into cubes
- ½ cup button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- ¾ cup hotdogs, or sausages, sliced thinly
- ½ cup evaporated milk, or all-purpose cream
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup pork broth, or water
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a cooking pot, pour-in and heat cooking oil over medium heat.
- Add-in the butter, minced garlic, and chopped onion. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft and aromatic.
- Add-in the pork liempo, and soy sauce. Cook until lightly browned.
- Pour-in the pork broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Add-in the hotdogs. Cook until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Add-in the potatoes, and the carrots. Pour-in the evaporated milk. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add-in the button mushrooms, and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂