Have you ever heard of the dish called the Tortang Sardinas? Yes, preparing canned sardines is one of the most convenient ways to eat especially when you’re always on the go and is always super busy.
But since it’s not always the best choice when it comes to dinner with someone over, why not make it extra special? After all, anything homemade is special in its own way. Learn how to make this delicious budget dish now in this recipe article!
What is Tortang Sardinas?
Let’s get to know more about the canned sardines first. These are a very common part of the typical Filipino food and dinner routines when going for less expensive food and for those who are skipping to buying fresh fish or meat.
The good thing about canned sardines is that it can feed one person to even an entire family. They are cheap and very convenient, especially if you want to have an easy dinner during the weekdays.
Now with this recipe, you can finally add some twist to the plain old canned sardines and make it an even better and exciting meal!
This dish is made of—obviously—the canned sardines, along with eggs, flour, some spices and seasonings like onion and garlic, and salt and pepper. This is combined into one nice omelette and is then fried to perfection.
How to make Tortang Sardinas?
It seems like there’s a whole lot of things to do, but to start with preparing the tortang sardinas, but it is easier to look at if we breakdown the whole procedure in the processes you like to achieve.
First, we are going to do what we always do when cooking, saute the garlic and onions!
Second, we make the omelette mixture by mixing all of the ingredients needed.
Third, we are going to fry the mixture until it looks nice and golden brown in color.
And last, you eat it how you want it! A couple of recommendations though, this is best partnered with white rice or with a tasty bread/pandesal.
Tortang Sardinas Tips:
- Season all you want. If you want to add more flavor to the tortang sardinas, nothing’s going to stop you, you can add any seasoning of your choice. This dish is nice when you have a little spice on it, so it is recommended that you add in a couple of those chili pepper powders when mixing the sardines, to have a nice kick in every bite.
- Be sure to watch the heat when cooking the tortang sardinas. The sardines can be easily overcooked so you must keep the heat on low to medium. High heat tends to burn the outside super fast and will leave you with undercooked parts easily.
- Pick the type of canned sardines you know that has a lot of sauce in it. This will help add flavor to the sardines once you are done cooking and it will improve the overall flavor of the dish, especially if you don’t plan on making any other sauce or dips for the dish.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Tortang Sardinas Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cans sardines, separated from sauce
- 1 pc medium-sized onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup spring onion, chopped
- 2 pcs eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil, for frying
- In a cooking pan, pour-in and heat oil over medium heat.
- Add-in the onions, and garlic. Saute until translucent, soft, and aromatic. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same bowl, add-in the all-purpose flour, sardines, spring onions. Season with salt and pepper. Combine and then pour-in the eggs. Mix again until well-incorporated.
- In the same cooking pan, pour-in a part (3 tbsp) of the sardine mixture and cook both sides until golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray. Dry excess oil with paper towels. Serve with the sardine sauce and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂