The Homemade Skinless Longganisa (Filipino style sausage) is something you can prepare in large batches so you can have something easy to cook for the busy week ahead!
If you’re loaded with busy tasks, this is a sure and delicious way to keep your stomach full because once you prepare it, you can easily grab it from the refrigerator and cook it. Continue to learn how to make this dish, there are also some tips and tricks along the way.
What is Longganisa?
The longganisa is a type of Filipino dish served during breakfasts which is a sausage that is typically cured to achieve sweet and savory flavors.
It can also be marinated with garlic, to achieve that distinct garlicky goodness. Longganisa is usually made of ground pork, combined with ingredients such as brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and optional ingredients such as paprika, and cornstarch, for a thicker saucy flavor.
This recipe makes use of the sweet and garlicky skinless longganisa. There are other types of longganisa which includes the “casing”, but here we use wax paper to maintain the shape of the longganisa.
How to Prepare and Cook Skinless Longganisa?
The skinless longganisa might take some time to prepare, but it is really easy to make. The outcome will be satisfying because you made it on your own, and that’s something to be proud of!
So to start with this, the first thing you will need to do is to prepare the marinade. You will just need to combine all of the ingredients with the pork and then put them in a sealed container to freeze overnight.
Be sure to make time to thaw the longganisa when you are about to cook it. There are various ways to cook the longganisa.
For this recipe, this uses a combination method of both boiling and frying. It is still a straightforward process, the first thing you need to do is to bring the water to a boil in the cooking pan. Once that’s boiling, place the longganisa and wait until most of the water has evaporated.
After that, you can pour oil and then fry the longganisa until it’s nicely browned.
Skinless Longganisa Tips:
- If for any reason you don’t have any available options for cooking the longganisa and you happen to have a microwave oven with you, you can use that as well to cook the longganisa. However, it will not result in the same flavor as the longganisa juices will not caramelize enough.
- The microwave is a good choice to reheat the longganisa, but only use it as a last resort when cooking it.
Notes on Ingredients
When choosing the pork for the longganisa, it is worth noting that the amount of fat within the pork affects the flavor of the meat. Another good thing about the fat is that it prevents the longganisa from drying out.
A good recommendation would be to choose pork meat that contains around 30% fat. You can still pick leaner options if you want it to be less taxing when it comes to health, but it will not result in the same flavor.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Homemade Skinless Longganisa Recipe
- Cooking Pan
- 1 kg ground pork
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, diluted in water
- ½ cup water, or as needed
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add in the pork, garlic, sugar, paprika, soy sauce, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Then add in the diluted cornstarch. Mix until well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 to 120 minutes.
- On a flat surface with a wax paper, scoop a part (1 tbsp) of the pork mixture and wrap tightly, forming a log shape. Repeat for the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer to a sealed container and then freeze in the refrigerator overnight.
- In a cooking pan, pour water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the longganisa. Cook until the water evaporates, and then add in cooking oil. Cook until browned and the longganisa is caramelized.
- Transfer to a serving tray or serving plate. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂