Puto is already a popular delicacy here in the Philippines. You will commonly find this as an afternoon snack or even in celebrations, such as birthday gatherings or fiestas.
This is a fluffy treat that everyone will be sure to like, especially for the kids. And what’s that? Puto Pizza? Yes! Partner the already delicious puto with the flavors of our beloved pizza, and you will get this new trending food which is absolutely delectable!
In this recipe, we will make something a little extra from our special puto. We are going to smother the puto in pizza sauce that is guaranteed to make kids and adults want more of these. Your family will definitely love this homemade puto pizza!
Be sure to read the article so you don’t miss out on any tips and trivia.
What is Puto Pizza?
First off, puto is basically a steamed rice cake popularized by the Filipinos. It is commonly eaten as a dessert or a snack, or is partnered with other savory Filipino dishes. It is traditionally made from a mixture of rice, water, and sugar, and is usually fermented first before steaming them.
But nowadays, making the puto has never been this easy ever since the use of flour became popular. It is actually not a bad substitute as it makes the puto smoother and softer.
Now, we partner our puto with a pizza flavor. Just a quick description of the pizza, it is basically a food invented in Italy which is a flatbread served with different kinds of toppings.
But in this recipe, we are not going to use an actual pizza. Instead, we are going to use the popular pizza sauce that you can find in your local stores. This way, we are still enjoying the delicious flavor of the pizza in a soft and fluffy dessert.
How to make Puto Pizza?
Making puto pizza is very similar to making the traditional puto, we just have to change up some of the ingredients. It might seem overwhelming, but it is a pretty straightforward process. Just be mindful of the ratio of the ingredients so no further problems would arise.
The first thing you have to do is to make two separate mixtures, one for the wet ingredients, and one for the dry ingredients. This is to ensure a smooth workflow. Once that’s done, just combine the two mixtures while slowly adding in some water until you have a favorable consistency.
That’s basically the “hard” part, all that’s left to do is to distribute the mixture into the puto molds and add in our pizza ingredients! Take note that sliced cheese is the recommended one here, since it helps with the overall texture of the puto. And after that, you can finally steam them.
This recipe also includes a video below. You can also visit our Youtube channel for more recipes!
Notes on Ingredients
Pizza sauce is the ingredient we used for this recipe, but if it’s not available or it is not your preferred choice, you can also use a tomato sauce.
Hotdogs can be replaced by other meats you like, such as ham, or even sausages. You can add in other common pizza ingredients to the mix, like bell pepper, for example.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Puto Pizza Recipe
- 3 pcs eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
Pizza topping Ingredients:
- 5 tbsp pizza sauce, or tomato sauce
- Cheese, sliced
- 3 pcs jumbo hotdogs, sliced
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, add the evaporated milk and the pinch of salt. Mix them until it’s well-incorporated.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, white sugar, and baking powder.
- Slowly combine the two separate mixtures together in one bowl. Then carefully add-in the water and mix again until the consistency is thin enough.
- Prepare the puto molds and brush it with cooking oil.
- Fill about ⅔ of the puto mold with the puto mixture. Afterwards, add enough pizza sauce, cheese slices, and hotdogs. Do this for the rest of the ingredients.
- Steam for 10 minutes. Cover the steamer lid with a piece of cloth to avoid water drips.
- Transfer the finished puto pizza in a serving tray or serving plate. Enjoy!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE below and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂