Having a lazy afternoon and wanting to do something productive and have an afternoon snack out of the usual? Here is a new delicious–sweet and cheesy at the time–snack that you could try your hands on, the Banana Cheese Roll!
It is super quick and easy to do as most of the ingredients are probably already available in your kitchen! Definitely a good idea, especially if you don’t know what to do with your saba bananas. Continue to read below to learn more about the banana cheese roll and learn some tips when making this snack.
What is a Banana Cheese Roll?
Banana cheese rolls are made easily by making a banana filling and then coating it with an egg wash and breadcrumbs. There are varieties of this which you can also make aside from using banana, as it is a simple recipe.
This is a version where you can make it easily at home, unlike the more common cheese rolls we know. The traditional ones are made using yeast and you actually make bread, and then add the cheese inside.
This has quickly grown in popularity because it is easy to make and you could produce a large amount with simple ingredients, so it is cheap. Some households put up a small business and make these which you can sell for a slightly bigger amount.
How to Make Banana Cheese Rolls?
Making a banana cheese roll isn’t as hard as you think! Just by following these easy steps, you will be enjoying your upgraded merienda time with the family.
Just remember these three straightforward processes you’re about to do when preparing the banana cheese roll: First, what we need to do is to boil the bananas first. Second, we are going to prepare and roll it into a banana-y and cheese-y mixture. And last, we are going to deep fry it!
When preparing for the bananas to be mixed, be sure that they are mashed completely and smoothly so that it will easily blend in with the flour and water. The mixture tends to be sticky so mix it using tools such as a whisk, or plastic gloves if you want to do it by hand.
Just be sure to grease the gloves with a little bit of oil so that you will not encounter a sticky and messy situation.
Notes on Ingredients
This recipe is delicious, no doubt about that, but if ever you think that this is still too plain for your liking, you can put more sweetness into it by adding granulated sugar when mixing the bananas with the all-purpose flour. It is up to you how much sugar you will add.
For more cheesy goodness, you can partner the banana cheese rolls with a cheese dip. You can use the ones which are ready made or you could melt the cheese bar. Another option is to sprinkle it with grated cheese. If you want the rolls to be more sweet on the other hand, a good option is to sprinkle the cheese rolls with granulated sugar.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Banana Cheese Roll Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- Frying Pan
- 15 pcs saba bananas (plantain)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 pcs egg, beaten
- 12 pcs cheese sticks, (Eden or Ques-o)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup water, for boiling
- 1 cup cooking oil, for frying
- In a cooking pot, pour-in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add-in the saba bananas. Cover the pot and simmer until soft. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Peel off the skin and then mash the bananas until a fine texture is achieved.
- Add-in the all-purpose flour, and ½ cup of water. Mix until well-incorporated. You can use plastic gloves dabbed with oil when mixing the ingredients to avoid sticking.
- Scoop a handful of the mixture and then flatten it. Place the cheese strip at the center and then proceed to roll it into a log-shape. Repeat this step for the rest of the mixture
- In two separate bowls, add-in the beaten eggs and the breadcrumbs separately.
- Dip the rolls fully into the beaten eggs, and then into the breadcrumbs until fully covered.
- In a cooking pan, pour-in and heat oil in medium heat.
- Add-in the rolls. Deep-fry until golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate or serving tray and dry excess oil with paper towels. Serve and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂