The Pinoy Fruit Salad (Filipino-style Fruit Salad) is something that you will always see at the dinner table during the holidays, especially the Christmas Season.
It is a perfect partner for festive Christmas dishes as this dessert is also festive looking, with its colorful nature. Surely a great way to celebrate special occasions with the family and with friends.
Continue to read the recipe article below to see some tips and some tricks, as well as some trivia about this colorful and delightful fruit salad!
What is a Fruit Salad?
A fruit salad is–from the name itself–a combination of a variety of fruits that is usually served partnered with a syrup. It can be served as a snack, a dessert, or an appetizer.
Filipino-style fruit salads commonly make use of the canned cocktails, which is a combination of diced fruits such as pears, lychees, grapes, pineapples, among others. This is then partnered with a thick cream usually out of condensed milk and all-purpose cream.
How to make Pinoy Fruit Salad?
Making the Pinoy fruit salad is as easy as putting things together and arranging them in an appealing way. To start, all you have to do is prepare all of your ingredients and mix them in one large mixing bowl, and chill them afterwards. And that’s all there is to do! It is best served after a hearty dinner like (Macaroni Salad or Christmas Ham) or even during afternoons.
Also, one good thing about the Pinoy Fruit Salad is it doesn’t really have a strict set of ingredients that we have to follow. While, yes, this recipe gives you specific ingredients you can follow for an easier approach, it will be entirely up to you on what fruits you want to add or maybe even other ingredients you also want to add which can give more flavor and more personality to the dessert salad.
Think of it as a way to make this super easy dish more special. This is a good opportunity to make it truly about you and what you make.
Fruit Salad Tips
- If you’re looking to find raw ingredients instead of the canned ones, make sure that it is fresh. Good choices for fruit you can get are the ones in your local market and are produced locally, so you’re sure to find fresh fruits for the salad.
- Canned fruit cocktails usually have a sweetened syrup along with it, it is sometimes dyed and it can taint the whole color of the fruit salad as a whole. If you want to have a more appealing look and have more color for the salad, you can drain them first before adding them into the mix with the other ingredients. This will also ensure a thick and creamy salad because there will be no excess liquid.
Notes on Ingredients
The usual Pinoy fruit salad uses the ready-made fruit cocktail you can buy in your local stores or supermarkets. If you are looking for alternatives you can use fresh fruits such as strawberries, grapes, apples, or oranges.
Some other specific types of canned fruits such as canned peaches, pears, or lychee can be also acceptable. Another good addition to the mix would be to add some yogurt and nuts for that extra crunch and flavor in the salad.
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Pinoy Fruit Salad Recipe
- 1 can fruit cocktail
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 pack all-purpose cream
- 1 cup sugar palm, (kaong)
- 1 cup nata de coco, (optional)
- 10 pcs maraschino cherries, (optional)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, cut into cubes (optional)
- In a bowl, add-in the condensed milk and the all-purpose cream. Mix until well-incorporated.
- Add-in the fruit cocktail, sugar palm, nata de coco, and cheddar cheese. Mix until all of the ingredients are well-blended.
- Cover the bowl with a wrap. Refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or serving cups and top with maraschino cherries. Serve and enjoy!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE below and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂