If you’re having trouble with the kids because they’re not eating healthy food–then you must try these super yummy and healthy Kalabasa Corned Beef Nuggets. These are kid-friendly since it does not have the overpowering taste of the squash or kalabasa and it is made to be meaty with the corned beef and fried into the same look as the chicken nuggets.
A perfect partner for rice or if you just want to have merienda with your family–especially the kids. Continue to read below to learn how to make the best tasting healthy nuggets and see some tips and some trivia along the way.
What are Kalabasa Corned Beef Nuggets?
Kalabasa Corned Beef Nuggets, is a delicious and healthier alternative for the usual chicken nuggets which uses–of course–the squash or calabaza, and canned corned beef as the main ingredients. These are partnered with garlic, onion, and an array of seasonings depending on preference.
The squash is grated into fine pieces and is then made to be the filling ingredient along with the corned beef, coated with a batter to make it into a crispy nugget when deep fried.
How to Make Kalabasa Corned Beef Nuggets?
To start with preparing the squash corned beef nuggets, all you have to think about when doing the whole procedure is the three major processes (this will make it easier for you to visualize):
First, you have to prepare your squash by peeling and grating it using a cheese grater. Second, you need to mix the other ingredients along with the grated squash and then coat it with a binding ingredient such as breadcrumbs or flour. Lastly, you have to deep fry it until it is crispy and golden brown.
Squash Corned Beef Nugget Tips:
- You can do some of the steps ahead of time. To save you some energy when preparing these nuggets, you can do some of the steps in advance like peeling and grating the squash (we know, it can be a hard task when done manually) and mixing the ingredients. This is actually beneficial as the mixture can set nicely when chilled for a while.
- You can make the breadcrumbs manually or through the use of a food processor. Some places sell packs of ready-to-use breadcrumbs, but if it is not available, don’t worry because you can make it yourself. It does not have to be ground into very fine pieces, tearing the bread into small pieces by hand will do.
Notes on Ingredients
Kalabasa or Squash
There are different kinds of squash and you might end confused on what to choose. You can actually use any kind of squash you like, as long as it’s fresh and edible of course. But the common ones here in the Philippines are known as the summer squash or winter squash.
If breadcrumbs are not available, you can replace it with the use of an all-purpose flour. The flour acts as a coating similar to the breadcrumbs and it will still give a crispy result once you deep fry the nuggets.
Squash Corned Beef Nugget Dips
Like any other nuggets, these delicious and healthy treats are best partnered with dips. Of course, nothing can beat the classic ketchup and mayonnaise when it comes to nuggets.
But you can also try other dips or sauces. Some suggestions you can try are barbecue sauce, sweet and sour sauce, or even cheese dips. It really depends on what you prefer, so go experimenting!
For a quick reference about this recipe, see the recipe table below:
Kalabasa Corned Beef Nuggets Recipe
- Cooking Pot
- 1 can (350 g) corned beef
- 500 g kalabasa (squash), kalabasa, peeled and grated
- 1 pc small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pcs egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooking oil, for frying
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- In a large mixing bowl, add-in the grated squash, corned beef, chopped onion, minced garlic, and season with salt and pepper as desired. Mix.
- Add-in the eggs, and then add-in the breadcrumbs. Mix until all the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Scoop a part of the mixture (1 to 2 tbsp) and form it into a nugget. Repeat this step for the rest of the mixture.
- Place the breadcrumbs for coating in a bowl. Then dredge the nuggets with the breadcrumbs.
- In a cooking pot, pour-in and heat cooking oil over low to medium heat.
- Add-in the nuggets. Deep-fry until all sides are golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving tray or serving plate. Serve with a dip of your choice and enjoy!
Pin and save this recipe to your Pinterest account! Click on the Pin button above 🙂
Thank you and I hope you find this article useful! It’ll mean a lot if you RATE THE RECIPE by clicking the stars and SHARE THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS! 🙂